It’s that time of year again! We’re all gearing up to see our families, buy presents, and spend some quality time with friends and neighbors. Most people opt to decorate for their holiday of choice – Hanukkah and Christmas happen to fall in the same month. So what are some great ways to honor your family’s heritage and family tradition through homewares and home décor? Let’s take a look!
- Set up a “memory table.” It’s easy to forget about holidays past, but this year, make the effort to bring your family back to cherished years prior. Whether you set out photos of your family together, display “baby’s first Christmas” ornaments, or light your very first menorah once again, the family will love looking through the memorabilia you’ve set out for them. You can set delicate pieces on a cushion or nestle them in a basket to keep them safe.
- Put together a slideshow. Some families seem to have so many photos from over the years that they simply don’t know how to display them all. A great way to create a festive atmosphere and put smiles on the faces of your family members is to set up a slideshow. Add holiday music or favorite songs that evoke special memories. Everyone will love sharing stories about holidays past and they’ll appreciate your creativity and time you put into making the project.
- Have a brave family member dress up as Santa. This one isn’t for everyone, but in a family with a lot of small kids, it’s an unforgettable experience for them. Just be sure to have the camera ready – and maybe have a glass of egg nog and cookies on hand for the sportsman-like volunteer who dons Saint Nick’s costume! This is a chance to really let your creative decorating go wild.
- Create a holiday album with your family. With digital cameras, this becomes easy! Simply organize a photoshoot with your family and print off your favorites. Set up scenes or get outdoors and enjoy the weather. Put them together in a collage, or get them printed on a pillowcase or throw to cherish forever as holiday decorations.
- Decorate together. The simplest way to spend quality time with your family around the holidays is to decorate together. Whether that means lighting a menorah or putting gifts under the tree, the true gift is the gift of family.
Happy holidays and have fun decorating!